Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Pages

Friday 24 February 2012

Carpe diem ~ Seize the Day

How much time do people spend doing stuff in their lifetime?
When is it too late to start living? Do you have big dreams?
Have you ever notice the difference between people (on the streets) waiting around to live and
those people (in the hospital bed) waiting around to die?

I just wonder if anyone out there has had similar situation

Want to quit your job
Want to buy a ticket
Want to get a tan
Want to fall in love
And never return

Well Today I Do, and One Day I Will

I am sure most of us sit at our work desk everyday just waiting each day to pass, hoping that it will not be too late ... to be given an opportunity to change something ... waiting for a second chance to work differently ...

Well, my long time client walked through the office door today, it has been a while since, I can't recall when was the last time I saw him. I always find him rude over the phone, he never smiles (No Hello, No Thank You, No Goodbye) ... no one in the office wants to work on his projects. Back then I was a new staff, I had no choice but to take on his projects. I never understood why he behave the way he does (cold and unresponsive) until recently, he shared his life story (about his dreams, his family). It took him a while to start trusting us to do our job. (over a period of 5 years to be exact)


Looking at him sitting in the meeting room, reminded me of Carl Fredricksen, an elderly widower from my favourite animated 3D film in 2009 (premiered in America on my birthday - cool eh). My client always appear in his expensive suit, thick black glasses, white combed hair ... looking serious & important. On the other hand, I am exactly like Russell, the earnest young explorer, full of energy, very hopeful and  always looking for fun in life. Needless to say we are totally opposite individuals.

This is A Photo of A Real-Life Version of The Animated Film 'Up' seen on National Geography Channel
Lucky for me my client did not request for a floating house. But what I found out later was pretty ... sad. Basically he is very rich but very ill too. He is a workaholic and neglected his family over the years, he has enough money to retire comfortably but no one cares. He goes for dialysis treatment a few times a week (I heard it is painful maybe this is why he is always so uptight)

He was convince that life will be better after he got married ... have the first born, then another came.
He wish the kids would grow up faster, he was frustrated when they were growing up as teenagers.
He hope that sometimes his spouse would get her act together when times were rough.
He dream of getting a new luxury car, a bigger house, going on a nice long vacation when he retire.
But he never retired, his spouse is no longer here and his children moved on.
The truth is there is no better time than doing what you want right now. 
At that very moment, I realize how he had forced his happiness away. 


I was in a dilemma I can't bring myself to advice a dying client not to continue with the project. He was running out of time and it was an impossible dateline. He wanted his dream house, but indirectly am I giving him false hope? The company needed this project but he needed to rest and not worry / bother about completion. I was torn. His children are not supportive of his dream. Maybe this is the only thing left that he has to hold on to, the last dream that is keeping him alive. I obviously did not want to pull the plug before it is time.

Driving back that night, I keep thinking of what Father Alfred D'Souza said,
"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, or a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."

Happiness is still the only way to a successful life.
I should treasure every moment that I have. Dream as if I'll live forever. Live as if I'll die today.
I know that time waits for no one. I will never find time for anything. If I want time I must make it.

Should I stop waiting? ... until I finish my work, until I get back home; until I get married; until I get divorced; until I have kids; until I retire; until I get a new car or home; until spring ... to decide that there is no better time to be happy than right now!

My happiness should be an exciting journey, not just a destination.
So ...
Dance like nobody is watching
Love like you've never been hurt 
Sing like no one is listening 
Work like you don't need the money 
Live life every day as if it were your last

0 comments:

Post a Comment