Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Pages

Sunday 6 November 2011

Drive or be Driven

Parting Words of Wisdom

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
~Mathama Gandhi

The most inspiring and brilliant people I know have one thing in common: they never stop learning

I choose to be curious and learn. Whether I am a school kid, a college student, an aspiring Architect, an entrepreneur or a volunteer, learning is the empowering tool that allows me to tap into my inner well of creativity, fulfilment, and unique brilliance.

This is Part 2 continuation from A weekend of emotional Goodbyes (note: unexpected news, unexpected tears)

Two weeks ago, I took my friend's mum, Dr Roselia out to dinner at vegetarian cafe. Some of my friends would be amaze that I chose to spend my Friday evening with her instead of going for another friend's birthday drinks. Well I had all the intention to go for drinks after work that day but I got a call from my friend, she had to work late and asked me to accompany her mum for the night. You see she will be leaving the next day and I can't accept the fact that she has to stay home alone on that day. I kept her company and we shared a few interesting discussion about the past, present and future. 

I know she was concern for our future and worried for our present (me and my friend). She knows we are adults and we are free to live our lives as we so choose. But she can't help but to share her experience, 
"There are two types of man in this world, the ones that gets driven to woman (woman that makes their man go to another woman). They are technically not bad guys, all they want is a simple life and a little respect, not dealing with over-demanding or jealous girls, it is the troubled girls that chase the good guys away. The other type of man are the ones that drives to a woman ( Not necessarily a player but a guy who will do anything to get that awesome girl) In this scenario some nice girls might be unlucky and get into trouble with the wrong guys or some would say the BAD BOYS ... so the point she is trying to make is not to be miserable, this will force the partner to run to someone else who can provide them happiness, instead be smart and careful, take your time, we will never be alone because there is always someone out there who is willing to sit right next you."
She said, "Your choice, do you want Mr Right to drive or be driven?"
That week I came home every night tired but a lot of her words kept me awake, For example, "A man who treats his woman like a princess is proof that he has been raised by a Queen."

Spending the whole week with her was indeed meaningful, she bought me gifts, she invited me over for dinner, she packed my lunch, she promised my mum that she will make me well again (after weeks my cough is finally gone), we talked and laughed till very late every night. It felt like Home, something Sweet, a feeling I had almost forgotten.

I woke up in the morning and asked myself "Do I stop or keep pressing on? My room is in a mess, my life is falling apart, my body is getting weaker by the day, I thought I can do this but it is too hard. I am so occupied that there is no time for tears." I was so embarrassed when she saw the state of my room; I sat there praying before rushing of to work, reminding myself again to try coming home early to clean. A few hours later it seems my prayers were answered. I received a message "The minute you think of giving up, think of the reason why you held on for so long." That night, I came home and wrote The Best Gift of All cause I strongly believe, somebody up there (God in Heaven) loves me. Everybody down here (on earth) cares for me. I have taken a step and now all I need is to accomplish it, I trust that someday I will understand the purpose of MY journey.

On Saturday I sent them to the airport, standing there in the airport, I can't bear looking at everyone bidding farewell to each other. Finally it's time for her to board the plane, tear wells in my eye. "Don't worry about us, we will take good care of each other, every time I am down, I will think of your words and I promise to hold my head up high." 

Early next morning, I went for the usual Sunday morning service, I bought a gift bible (hoping that one day I will have the courage to give it to her). It was a long sunny day at church, I served at Tiny Tigers (Sunday school), followed by connect group discussion, attended Kids Alive emergency meeting (after rushing home for a quick shower) and ended with Super Sunday (Donna was great that evening). Pastor M made an exclusive announcement; he has to make a difficult decision to move on to the next chapter in his life. Of course it made my tears start rolling again, for the same reason (departing) but in different situation. Despite the years, it only gets harder and harder to say goodbye to everyone who is leaving.


What have I learned from Pastor M?

He always ask us to think of God
When we are lost, He will bring us back
When we cry, only He will make us glad
When we think we have a bad day, He knows
When the going's get tough and we feel like giving up
When we think we have had enough and hang our head down low
When we don't know where to go and feel like we are alone
When we fall or think nobody cares, He listens (Pray to God)
Wait outside the door, for everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Matthew 7:7-8
Our flesh is weak, but the spirit, heart and mind are eternal
God is the way, the truth, and the life. Follow the Lord.
Pastor M, is a true motivator and his inspiration will always be with us to the end


The DKALs will serve a Purpose Driven Kids Ministry  


Maybe I miss out on an empowering conversation with important people because I am too busy. Or I miss the chance to reframe a current, frustrating situation with a friend’s refreshing perspective because keeping-in-touch hasn’t been a priority. Or I miss the opportunity to deepen my compassion for my family who needs me because I haven’t picked up the phone in weeks, simply to ask, “Hey, how’ve you been? What’s new?” Or the book, the class, the certification, the travel adventure I’ve decided to put off until tomorrow because it’s always easier to delay than to take action.

When I decide to put off events, conversations and the opportunity to life-learn, I know I also take for granted the amazing people, teachers, and lessons available in my life. They are prepared and waiting to show me vibrant, meaningful experiences.

So today, if you are reading this, why don't you choose to open our thoughts, perspective, and time to create space for growth, our own personal growth.
We can all begin by cultivating a mindset that embraces endless possibilities, igniting creative thoughts, pushing past current limits, engaging in seeking a deeper purpose, channelling potential by learning something new and revealing the openness to experiment with what makes us feel fully alive again. 

And the Story of Learning Continues …